Join the Master Gardener Volunteers on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 10 am for a Garden Speaker Series. Starting in March MGVs will be on hand to assist and discuss garden-related topics.
Cost: $15 registration (includes the program, coffee, a light breakfast, and handouts)
Location: OSU Extension Mahoning County - 490 South Broad Street Canfield, OH 44406
Dates and Topics:
- March 14th: Seed Starting – Peg Zeleznik
- Jumpstart your 2023 gardening season by properly starting your seeds!
- April 11th: Growing Degree Days – David Sprague
- Do you know what temperature your garden plants need in order to grow and develop? Learn about what blooms in order to plan the garden.
- May 9th: Everything about Herbs - Carol Woodring
- An exploration of how to grow herbs for the quality results you want in your endeavors. We’ll start at the ground level and take you through care and harvest with a little history thrown in.
- June 13th: Herbals and Teas: Fiction, Facts, Folklore and Fun - Carol Smith
Fiction Reference to fiction novel with tea background - Facts - growth, planting, maintaining herbs - Folklore - uses of herbs in health, homes, teas, - Fun - Exploring different teas - tea party
- July 11th: The Amazing World of Essential Oils – Marilyn McKinley
- Join us for a fun morning. Together we will explore how to blend essential oils, carrier oils, oils for diffusing, making perfumes and colognes, roller balls, oils for cleaning, relaxation, mood lifting, where to get supplies and more! Recipes included.
- August 8th: Attracting and Raising Monarch Butterflies – Kary Shively
- The class will learn how to bring Monarch butterflies into their gardens. Essential plants and garden site will be discussed. Learn about their lifecycle and obtain information on how to raise them.
- September 12th: Sensory Garden for Memory – Kathy Emptage
- This talk will focus on sensory garden-based activities for dementia/Alzheimer's patients. Many activity possibilities through the use of plants and/or plant materials that are used in the long-term care setting.
- October 10th: Large or Small - The Japanese Garden – Stephanie Hughes
- If you have ever visited a Japanese garden, you know it is a very personal experience. The winding paths display tranquil elements that give way to peace in a chaotic world. Be it a huge expanse, or a corner hideaway to escape to, join us for ideas and instruction on how to create your own personal getaway at "Large or Small - The Japanese Garden."