Updates on Teen Opportunities for Mahoning County 4-Hers
As we look forward to the future of the Mahoning County 4-H program, we want to give you all some updates on changes and additions to our teen youth opportunities. These opportunities are generally open to youth who are 14 years of age or older, though some programs may have more specific age requirements.
Mahoning County Junior Fair Royalty
The goal of the Mahoning County Royalty Award is to provide an opportunity to recognize outstanding youth who are passionate about positively promoting all aspects of the Mahoning County Junior Fair Program.
- Applicant must be between the ages of 15 - 18 years of age as of January 1 of the current year.
- Applicant must be an active member of at least one of the youth organizations involved in the Mahoning County Junior Fair but are not required to be directly and/or currently involved in Junior Fair activities.
- 4-H, Boy Scouts, Camp Fire, Farm Bureau, FFA, Girl Scouts, and Grange
- Youth must have a strong desire to promote the Mahoning County Junior Fair.
Interested youth should complete the online application by Monday, Junly 24, 2023
- 2023 Mahoning County Junior Fair Royalty Application Information
- Mahoning County Junior Fair Royalty Online Application can be found at https://go.osu.edu/mcroyaltyapp
- Code of Conduct Reminder
The 4-H Camp Counselors are a group of 4-H teens selected to assist in being responsible for campers ages 8-14 during 4-H camp. As a result of participation, counselors will develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and aspirations needed for adult success.
- Camp Counselor Application - coming soon
- Camp Counselor Health Form
CARTEENS is an educational program designed and presented by county teens and presented to other teens who have been mandated by the Juvenile Court to attend due to a first-time traffic violation. This course is taught once a month and runs 2 hours in length. CARTEENS members lead the participants through a variety of hands-on, engaging activities to reinforce the importance of safe driving. CARTEENS will be held on the second Wednesday of every month from 6-8 pm starting June 8. Youth should generally be of the age to be eligible to drive (15.5) to participate in CARTEENS, though younger youth can still apply and will be considered.
Interested youth should contact the OSU Extension Office at 330-533-5538 to get more information or to take part in an upcoming training session. This is a great opportunity for 4-Hers who want more experience teaching their peers, or those who may be interested in careers in teaching or law enforcement in the future! APPLICATION
Scholarship and Award Opportunities
4-H Achievement Awards
- A record of your 4-H Career (projects, community service, club and community activities, demonstrations, speaking events, camping activities, state activities, awards, fair activities, school participation, other youth organizations)
- Can fill out yearly – submit for awards once you are 14 years old
- The Achievement Award Application is also used as our Royal Court Application
- Save it on your computer – can be added to each year
What awards are rewarded for the Achievement Award?
- Ohio Leadership Camp - Ages 15 - 18
- Ohio Forestry Camp – Grades 9 – 12
- Carving New Ideas Workshop – Grades 8 – 12
- Buckeye Leadership Worship – Ages 15 and up
- Leadership Washington Focus Trip – Grades 7 – 9
- Citizenship Washington Focus Trip – Ages 13 – 19
- National 4-H Congress – in Atlanta, GA
Junior Fair Awards which teens can apply for:
- Mahoning County Junior Fair Outstanding Youth
- Sheep & Wool Ambassador
- Outstanding Horseman
- Horse Sportsmanship Award
Scholarships Graduating Seniors in high school can apply for (some include currently college enrolled youth too):
- Gail Dennison Award – Saddle Horse – applications are mailed out to qualifying youth
- Ohio State Fair Scholarships for junior exhibitors. Applications and guidelines can be found on the Ohio State Fair web page
- The following scholarship applications can be found at www.mcjrfair.com
- Pop Shop Assistance Award – Pop Shop
- Darrel Bacon – Junior Fair Board
- George Grim – Junior Fair Board or Boy Scouts
- Tom Koch – Poultry or Market Livestock
- Martha Thullen – Goats
- Jim Baer – Market Livestock