Interested!- Click HERE for a PDF Application to print and complete
All applications are due by Friday, January 6, 2023.
Please send completed applications via email to Kristen at email@example.com or Eric at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If printing your application, please bring or mail it to the Mahoning County Extension Office, 490 S Broad Street Canfield, OH 44406 by Friday, January 6, 2023.
The mission of the Ohio Certified Volunteer Naturalist (OCVN) program is to promote awareness and citizen stewardship of Ohio's natural resources through science-based education and community service.
The OCVNs role is to support partners in meeting the needs of our citizens in the area of natural resources by assisting with educational programs.
- Identifying and educating the public about invasive species
- Understanding the aspects of nature in our region
- Giving public presentations relating to nature
- Hosting events for the public
- Get to know the local nature centers, parks, and other sites where you can volunteer
To become an Ohio Certified Volunteer Naturalist, you must:
- Complete 40 hours of combined classroom and field instruction
- Perform 40 hours of approved volunteer service within the first year
- After certification, 20 hours of volunteer service and 8 hours of advanced training are required annually
Training Topics include:
- Soil, Geology, & Watersheds
- Ecology & Stewardship
- Working with the public & communication skills
- Botany & Forests
- Entomology & Herpetology
- Ornithology & Mammals
Interested in joining our 2023 OCVN Training?
The OCVN program is $225 per person. This includes the manual, refreshments, some meals, speakers, and more! Once applications are received, they will be reviewed for acceptance into the program. Applicants will be notified of their status and payment is due prior to or at the beginning of the first class.
Below is the current schedule for 2023 classes. Classes are held on Tuesdays from 6-9 pm and Saturdays from 9 am - 4 pm. Saturday classes are typically field trips to other off-site locations and to visit our community partnerships.
|Tuesday, February 7th, 2023|
|Tuesday, February 14th, 2023|
|Saturday, February 25th, 2023|
|Tuesday, February 28th, 2023|
|Saturday, March 11th, 2023|
|Tuesday, March 14th, 2023|
|Saturday, March 25th, 2023|
|Tuesday, March 28th, 2023|
|Tuesday, April 4th, 2023|
|Saturday, April 15th, 2023|
|Tuesday, April 18th, 2023|
|Tuesday, April 25th, 2023|