Interested!- Click HERE for a PDF Application to print and complete
Please return applications by Friday, January 6, 2023, to the Mahoning County Extension Office, 490 S Broad Street Canfield, OH 44406.
The mission of the Ohio Certified Volunteer Naturalist (OCVN) program is to promote awareness and citizen stewardship of Ohio's natural resources through science-based education and community service.
The OCVNs role is to support partners in meeting the needs of our citizens in the area of natural resources by assisting with educational programs.
- Identifying and educating the public about invasive species
- Diagnosing plant problems
- Giving public presentations relating to nature
- Hosting events for the public
- Staffing educational booths and other various opportunities
To become an Ohio Certified Volunteer Naturalist, you must:
- Complete 40 hours of combined classroom and field instruction
- Perform 40 hours of approved volunteer service within the first year
- After certification, 20 hours of volunteer service and 8 hours of advanced training are required annually
Training Topics include:
- Soil, Geology, & Watersheds
- Ecology & Stewardship
- Working with the public & communication skills
- Botany & Forests
- Entomology & Herpetology
- Ornithology & Mammals
Interested in joining our 2023 OCVN Training?
The OCVN program is $225 per person. This includes the manual, refreshments, some meals, speakers, and more! Once applications are received, they will be reviewed for acceptance into the program. Applicants will be notified of their status and payment is due prior to or at the beginning of the first class.
Below is a SAMPLE schedule from 2022 classes. Classes are held on Tuesdays from 6-9 pm and Saturdays from 9 am - 4 pm. Saturday classes are typically field trips to other off-site locations and to visit our community partnerships.
|Tuesday, February 1st, 2022|
|Tuesday, February 8th, 2022|
|Saturday, February 19th, 2022|
|Tuesday, February 22nd, 2022|
|Saturday, March 5th, 2022|
|Tuesday, March 8th, 2022|
|Saturday, March 19th, 2022|
|Tuesday, March 22nd, 2022|
|Tuesday, March 29th, 2022|
|Saturday, April 9th, 2022|
|Tuesday, April 12th, 2022|
|Tuesday, April 19th, 2022|
If you would like to complete an OCVN certificate program in 2022, please visit our Portage County Extension Office by visiting their website here. Portage County Applications are due August 3, 2022.